Here’s my $0.02 for The National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service, which is in charge of preparing the United States to resume drafting people into the military. The commission asked people to submit their answers to these 7 questions:
- Is a military draft or draft contingency still a necessary component of U.S. national security?
- Are modifications to the selective service system needed?
- How can the United States increase participation in military, national, and public service by individuals with skills critical to address the national security and other public service needs of the nation?
- What are the barriers to participation in military, national, or public service?
- Does service have inherent value, and, if so, what is it?
- Is a mandatory service requirement for all Americans necessary, valuable, and feasible?
- How does the United States increase the propensity for Americans, particularly young Americans, to serve?
I invite you to submit your comments.